Friday, January 29, 2010

Bohol, Philippines

I'm still in the Philippines and Brandon and I just back from the island of Bohol and it was gorgeous! It was how I initially pictured the Philippines, a jungles of green everywhere. Brandon's two bosses Jeremy and Jon are so busy trying to get the call center up and going by next Monday and getting into their homes that they didn't go with us. Yup you guessed it, Brandon and I ventured off to a place that we have never been to. I was ok with it once Brandon made a friend at the hotel we are staying at in Cebu told him how to get around. We got up early and packed up a suitcase so that we could get a boat over to Bohol. The boat ride wasn't that bad. It was only an 1hr45 min. boat ride and when we got to Bohol I felt really overwhelmed. The reasoning is because we had sooo many tour guides just bombarding u to have them take u on the famous Chocolate Hills tour. I told Brandon to lets just find a freakin taxi! We found a guy and Brandon tried to negotiate a price but he didn't go down but he seemed liked he could speak ok English so off we went to the hotel. We didn't have a reservation at a hotel we just told the driver where to go but he wanted to take us to a different one than we wanted to so we let him. We figured why not we can always just look at the resort and if we didn't like it we could tell him to take us to the one we wanted to go to. We went to the Bohol Beach Club and thought the beach was nice but the room wasn't very nice. I told Brandon lets just go the Pangloa so we did. It was a cute little resort and the rooms where little bungalows. The pools was pretty neat but the beach not so much. The next morning we had our driver, Delphin, pick us up at 8 a.m. to go on our tour. He told us we would be back at 6 p.m. so we prepared ourselves for a long day. The tour was so awesome! We saw the famous Chocolate Hills and in the summer when they hills get dried they look like big scoops of chocolate ice cream.











Next stop after the chocolate hills was the man made forest. This forest was just to incredible to describe. It was just full of man planted mahogany trees. It was gorgeous!


After we saw the man made forest we went to see or shall I saw cross the hanging bridge. It was a bridge that hung over the Lobac (I think that's the name) river. It was made of bamboo and it was kind of scary cause what if it broke then I would go plunging into the river. After crossing the bridge there were little souvenirs shops and some buko (coconut) and the coconut king. He husks the coconut with his bare teeth. It was 2.00 to see him and so we paid and I filmed it. It was crazy. As soon as I figure out how to load the video I will.


After the hanging bridge it was lunchtime. We went on the Lobac-Loay River Cruise. We paid for lunch for our driver, afterall he needs to eat lunch too, and down the river we went. It was so nice and relaxing and to have a nice cool breeze hitting you felt so good. We stop at a little spot where they had some of the Filipinos dance and sing and you got to take pictures and make a donation if you wanted to. We always made a donation.




After lunch and going to the bathroom, which I had to hold because there were no bathrooms on the boat! I had to pee sooo bad and the waterfalls didn't help either and the coke they offered us for lunch. I was so glad when lunch was over and we got back cause I headed straight for the bathrooms. Speaking of bathrooms my neighbor and our friends that are over here gave us a tip, always carry toilet paper why, because some restrooms don't have it. Another thing about the public bathrooms is the majority of the toilets don't have toilet seats so if you are a girl you either squat or stand on the toilet. I prefer squatting than standing. Luckily for me I've been to really really clean bathrooms with toilet paper, and a toilet seat. Kelly, new friend that I've made and Brandon's boss's with, has told me I'm very lucky.

So after lunch we were headed to see the most important thing I've been wanting to see, the tarsier, smallest monkey. This guy was soo cute I just wanted to stuff him in my bag and take him home. We weren't allowed to hold or touch them and no flash when taking pictures. Brandon accidentally forgot to take the flash off and took a picture of the monkey. I tell him he has now blinded that monkey. Brandon likes to refer to these pictures as his award winning pictures.






The last spot on our tour was the Blood Compact Site,The spot where the “Sandugo” took place; a blood compact between Miguel Lopez de Legazpi of Spain and Rajah Sikatuna of Bohol. The blood compact is considered as the First Treaty of Friendship between two different races, religions, culture and civilization. A treaty based on respect and equality! A place where you can immerse yourself in history! I got this info from the website.




After our tour was over we made a reservation for our complimentary 30 min. massage. Man it felt sooo good. What a nice treat after a long day of sightseeing.

2 comments:

Mary said...

it looks so pretty! how is the heat? love the monkey pics!

Anna and Jay said...

Do they have squatty potties in the Philippines?